Friday, July 29, 2011

Santa Barbara: McConnell's Ice Cream

McConnell's Ice Cream in Santa Barbara
Strawberry Bourdeaux

McConnell’s ice cream in Santa Barbara was rather mediocre when compared to some of the best ice cream places I’ve been to, like Ici in Berkeley, Penny Ice Creamery in Santa Cruz and Van Leeuwen in New York. Why write about it then? Well, apparently, the place has gotten a lot of notoriety, having been featured on Fraiser, is a favorite of Barbra Streisand, and has been called the best ice cream in the world by Time Magazine. Now, it’s possible that I ordered the wrong ice cream, as my scoop of Bourdeaux strawberry was rather unremarkable when compared to the tastes of Chocolate Raspberry Truffle and Brazilian Coffee Chip I had, thanks to my family. But, if McConnell’s is really in the running for best ice cream in the world, shouldn’t every flavor be to die for? My answer is yes and for me, McConnell’s ice cream didn’t live up to the hype.

One redeeming trait of place, however, was that it felt like one of those places that you would beg your parents to go to as a child. McConnell’s had this beach bum vibe that, when combined with the fact that they sold ice cream, produced in me a nostalgic affection for the place. And, they had a cute outdoor eating area, which added to McConnell’s laid back atmosphere. Although it may not have been the best ice cream I ever had, McConnell’s is worth checking out for the nostalgia factor and in order to investigate the hype. 

No comments:

Post a Comment