Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Joshu-ya Brasserie: Decent Sushi, Aesthetically Pleasing

Photo Credit: Curtis C. 

Not too long ago, Ben and I went to Joshu-ya Brasserie for the first time. It's almost inconceivable that we hadn't been there before, since it's only a few blocks away and we're both sushi fiends. Now, Joshu-ya's sushi was pretty good; it definitely beat out my old favorite, Manpuku, in the flavor and freshness departments. But I'm choosy about my sushi. I like it when the fish speaks for itself. Cucumber, rice, seaweed, avocado are only there as complements, supporting actors if you will, to the main attraction that is seafood. And, of course, the very best sushi has that remarkable just-plucked-from-the-ocean freshness to it.

Waiting patiently for our food.
Good example of the aesthetically pleasing aspects of our meal.
Now, when these lofty expectations meet the poverty that marks the college student lifestyle, you get a perpetually unsatisfied consumer of sushi, aka moi. (Only exceptions: eating sushi with parents. I recommend the sashimi at Kirala in Berkeley and the nigiri at Zen Toro in Davis if price is less of an object for you. So. Much. Delicious.) Anyway, with all of this in mind, my meal at Joshu-ya was not half bad. I ordered the spicy tuna roll––they were not kidding about the spicy part. That was some hot sushi. I also had their seared salmon nagiri with a truffle creme sauce, which was my favorite of the two since it came closest to meeting my aforementioned requirements for good sushi. The truffle creme sauce was rich but not overpowering and the salmon flavor still had its chance to shine through.

WARNING: Contents of this plate may burn your tongue
and set your lips aflame, even sans wasabe.

But, as the title of this post suggests, the sushi itself paled in comparison to its aesthetics, for me anyway. The plating was so beautiful that I couldn't help but awkwardly take multiple photos with my lovely, bulky dSLR. I thought the outside of Joshu-ya was pretty charming too, but this may have merely been my proclivity for twinkly christmas lights in outdoor, nighttime settings.

Gorgeous and pretty darn yummy to boot.
Anyways, in spite of my pickiness, sushi at Joshu-ya was an enjoyable experience, one that I will likely undertake again in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment